People obtain pet insurance to lessen the costs of various kinds of vet manipulations and procedures. These insurance plans differ one from another and do not cover all types of veterinary services. Most firms claim that the percentage of the compensation they provide is 90.
If the owner of a dog/cat wants to receive coverage for the vet expenses, he should first make a payment from his funds. Only then, after contacting the pet insurance companies in advance, it will be possible to get a reimbursement of losses. This is the way animal insurance companies work.
The cost of pet medical insurance differs. It depends on many factors, here, they are:
- The type and age of the critter that needs insurance;
- The geographic location of an animal;
- Estimated health risks;
- Duration of the policy;
- The company that insures the domestic animal.
The degrees of reimbursement of insurance policies vary. Most often, pet insurance service providers offer their customers a refund on the following important points:
- common diseases and injuries;
- routine vaccinations and annual examinations;
- force majeure situations with a threat to the pet’s life (complex sudden injuries are requiring surgical intervention).
Also, some companies make it possible to ensure your animal against causing harm to it by another person or its aggressive behavior towards another human (biting).
Pet Insurance Companies Top
The most trustworthy and reliable pet insurance organizations are:
The best pet insurance firm offers its customers a wide range of insurance plans. Its clients can themselves set the percentage of reimbursement of services in a veterinary clinic (70%, 80%, or 90%). It is also possible to define the deductible. It can be the following amounts – 100, 250, 500, or 750 dollars.
- Annual deductible;
- Unlimited lifetime coverage of a pet;
- The animal is considered insured during trips in the USA and Canada (up to 3 months);
- Positive customer reviews;
- Easy claims application in the Healthy Paws app of the best pet insurance;
- BBB Rating: A +;
- Great customer support;
- Application redemption is made on average in 48 hours.
- The insurance does not cover the fee for annual veterinary examination and hip dysplasia in animals registered after reaching 6 years of age;
- Owners of animals over 8 years old get the 60% reimbursement of costs. The annual deductible for them is 750 dollars.
- When registering, a one-time fee of $25 is charged;
- In New York, it is not possible to ensure pets over 4 years old.
A tempting service that provides Pets Best is an accident with pet insurance. The best pet health insurance organization has 2 wellness plans for your choice. The company rightfully sits with one of the cheapest pet insurance options. Clients can communicate with the veterinarian online 24/7. Payments are made on average over 8 days.
- There are no restrictions on the age of the pet;
- Reasonable prices;
- The insurance applies to pets traveling in the USA, Canada, and Puerto Rico;
- BBB Rating: A +
- Good customer support work.
- 6-month waiting period for CCL injuries;
- In case of illness, the waiting period is 14 days;
- The transaction fee is $2;
- Alternative treatments are not refundable;
- The average maturity of an application for insurance payments is 25-40 days.
This organization can refund 100% of your bill from the veterinarian. It has a good reputation and has profiles on social networks (Facebook, Twitter). Customer service is working properly. It provides services for a reasonable fee.
- Annual deductible (not per incident);
- When traveling in the USA, Canada, and Puerto Rico, the pet is insured;
- BBB Rating: B +;
- Reimbursement of bills from the veterinarian is typically carried out within 5-7 business days;
- It has an application that is supported on iOS and Android.
- There is no wellness plan;
- The waiting period for hip defects is six months;
- The waiting period for accidents is 3 days;
- There is a one-time administrative fee of $9 + $2 per month or $10 per year for the provision of services.
The Best Pet Insurance Companies. How To Find Them?
To choose the best insurance company for your pet, the following steps should be taken:
- Carry out a little research and find out the eligible insurance companies. To do this, you should read pet insurance reviews on the Internet, while it is worth focusing on authoritative resources.
- Talk with your veterinarian. He will advise on what you should pay attention to in insurance policies as the owner of a particular breed of dog or cat. Different breeds have typical predispositions for health problems.
- Look for an insurance plan that fits your pet’s needs. For example, if he is inclined to swallow things that, in principle, should not be eaten, you should think not only about standard coverage but also about additional insurance.
- Apply for best pet insurance when your pet is still small, healthy, and full of strength. Firstly, this will make it possible to easily bypass age restrictions and, secondly, it will allow you to save money on procedures and medical support for the pet that is coming up at a more mature age.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Almost all pet insurance companies that insure pets use in their work the procedure of reimbursing expenses after paying for those by the animal owner directly from his wallet. This means that the parent of the pet can get the agreed in advance refund percentage of the bill from the veterinarian after paying it himself. Most companies claim that they pay up to 90% of the money spent.
The insurance plan has a certain fixed cost; it is calculated monthly or annually. An insurance policy is a list of those cases when the owners of animals can rely on reimbursement of expenses. Different plans cover various aspects and situations. Typically, best pet insurance includes:
- the deductible;
- percentage of a bill from the vet clinic reimbursement;
- annual or monthly cost of the insurance plan;
- periods of waiting for reimbursement of funds depending on the reason for the treatment (illness, injury).
Why Pet Insurance Is Important
No matter how cynical it sounds, by insuring your pet, you are first of all insuring yourself. We all know how expensive it is now to ensure a decent and comfortable living. When acquiring a pet, it should be remembered that this living creature can also become sick and/or may get some kind of injury with which you will need to somehow cope.
Medical care for pets is not cheap. This is an additional expense item on the already long list you have. That is why best pet insurance is extremely important because if your dog needs an urgent operation due to injury or/and illness, the bill for these services will make an impression on you, to say the least. Do not let your furry friend fail to get proper help because you did not take care of insurance in advance. To prepare for unexpected expenses with your pet will help insurance policy. There, it will be indicated when in which case and how much you can get back on your check from the veterinarian clinic.
Pet Wellness Plan vs. Pet Insurance
Before contacting an insurance company, responsible parents of pets should know the difference between a pet wellness plan and pet insurance so that then there will be no discontent and misunderstanding. So, the main difference between these two products is:
- The Pet Wellness Plan helps pet owners cover the costs of standard pet care, i.e., vaccinations, annual examinations, sterilization, dental treatment, deworming, etc.
- Critter insurance is a guarantee that in the event of injury to your animal due to an accident, a bite to another animal or cancer, your animal will receive expensive qualified assistance and this will not be a big stress for your finances – the insurance company will cover up to 90% of the amount you paid for treatment.
From all the mentioned above, it follows that these are completely different financial services that do not overlap. Therefore, you should be careful and know exactly under which contract you put your signature. Some companies offer a pet wellness plan as a separate service, which, accordingly, is paid extra.
The logical question is whether it is cost-effective to pay both for a wellness plan and pet medical insurance at the same time. There is no single correct answer to this question, but you must admit, we all know that the earlier a particular disease is detected, the higher the chances of its successful cure, and the wellness plan is aimed at this. At the same time, life is unpredictable, and no one is safe from accidents and your pet too, so isn’t it better to be prepared for this?
What Is The Cost Of Pet Insurance?
The average pet insurance price paid by dog owners per month is $47.20; for those who have a cat, they have to part with $29.54. This applies to the coverage of accidents and various types of diseases. If you conduct a little research and compare prices for the largest insurance companies, the price range for the dog insurance will be $25 to $70 for dogs and $10 to $40 for cats.
The most important role in what the monthly pet health insurance payment will be is the type of animal, breed, geographical remoteness, and which package of coverage the pet owner chooses. Dog parents generally pay 60% more than cat parents. The age of the animal also plays an important role; the older it is, the higher the contributions become since with age, typically, health problems become more serious.
To assess whether it is worth contacting critter insurance firms, you should at least roughly know how much it costs to treat at least the most common diseases. So, therapy for puppies with parvovirus can cost a big sum of $900. And such serious measures as chemotherapy even more – from $5,000 to $10,000.
Key Considerations When You Buy Pet Insurance
To help pet owners navigate and choose the best option among those offered by insurance companies, the following are 7 important questions that should be answered before they sign an agreement:
- What exactly do I want to receive: discounts for paying for standard treatment of an animal by a veterinarian or insurance in case of injury or serious illness?
This important nuance should be carefully considered to avoid future discontent.
- Can I continue to use the services of my veterinarian?
The fact is that each company has its own rules on this behalf. It is worth checking in advance with the support service or on the hotline.
- What is the length of waiting periods for critter health insurance?
This information should be indicated in the contract that you are signing, but you can also get this information in advance from the manager with whom you are signing the agreement.
- What is not covered by the domestic animal insurance plan?
Usually, insurance companies refuse to cover pre-existing injuries or inherited defects.
- Will regular wellness care be provided?
This type of service includes a pet wellness plan. It is worth making sure whether the company provides this insurance product.
- Is sterilization covered by pet medical insurance?
In the case of animal life insurance against injuries or serious illnesses, sterilization is not included in the range of services that are reimbursed. This procedure is part of the wellness plan. Make sure that you get exactly what you want, negotiate with the manager all the nuances of the contract.
- Why is it worth choosing a higher deductible?
Deductible amounts differ from company to company. In the animal insurance market, you can find various options. But, it is worth remembering that the smaller the deductible, the higher the premium. Thus, if a person takes a higher deductible, he can reduce his insurance costs, because he shares most of the cost with the domestic animal insurance companies.
Pros And Cons of Domestic Animal Health Insurance Service
Animal insurance, like any other financial service, has its pros and cons. Here they are:
- The younger the animal, the cheaper it is to register it (8 weeks for dogs, 10 weeks for cats);
- Variety of insurance options (pet wellness plan, pet insurance policy);
- The opportunity to afford the costly treatment for your furry friend (cancer);
- Access to veterinarians nationwide form the best-rated pet insurance (the PetFirst company);
- The opportunity to get discounts if you have more than one animal of the same species ( dog health insurance);
- A sense of stability and security because you are ready for unexpected situations.
- Long-term insurance may turn out to be unprofitable (contributions can weatherly exceed the actual costs of caring for the animals)
- Insurance companies do not cover the costs of pre-existing conditions (if your pet has long-term health problems)
- The insurance policy does not include coverage for standard animal care (preventive examinations, vaccinations, helminth treatments, sterilization, etc.). It is possible to refund the payment of these services through pet insurance companies only with the help of pet wellness plans.
The old age of the pet can play a decisive role in the refusal to register the animal with the insurance company. Also, only NationWide offers bird or exotic animal insurance; other companies will refuse you if it is not a cat or a dog.